Funds Remaining

Saturday, November 16, 2013

The Diet Coke by Lori

One day earlier this week I had an appointment at a place where the visitors are offered a beverage, such as bottled water, colas and the like.  I have been to this place several times and each time offered a drink.  In the past, I'd make my decision based on largely on thirst.  Sometimes, I might opt for one drink over another based on the particular food plan I happened to be following but for the most part let my thirst rule.  I did not always accept the drink.

As I was getting ready to go, I remembered that I would be offered a drink.  I began to anticipate exactly what I would get.  Would I get a Diet Coke or a regular Coke? What if they offered Snapple or juice?  What would I get?  It was fun to think about and never once did thirst enter the equation.

I finally decided I'd ask for a Diet Coke when the offer came.  Then I had a chilling thought.  What if they no longer had this policy?  What if I wasn't offered anything to drink?  I didn't entertain those thoughts long, because it seemed silly to obsess over a drink.  I'd get one or I wouldn't.  It would be no big deal either way.

I went, was offered a drink, and got one of those little bitty cans of Diet Coke.  It was good, but not as epic as I had made it to be initially.  That caused me to think about the people that live on SNAP every day with no end in sight.  A drink is a big deal.  It is a treat outside of the day to day routine.

It made me realize how fortunate I am to be able to have a drink of whatever I want, whenever I want.  And, have more of an appreciation that not everyone has that luxury.



No comments:

Post a Comment