Funds Remaining

Sunday, November 3, 2013

Surprises So Far #1

The other night we were discussing what we had expected vs. what we were experiencing with regard to our SNAP challenge.  We each had several things spring to mind right away.  We decided that the best way to share them was for each of us to write about two on a blog post periodically throughout the rest of the challenge.

Lori's Turn:
As time goes on in this challenge more things arise that were unexpected.  In the interest of brevity, I'll discuss only two.
1.  I expected to miss my afternoon treat drink.
2.  I expected to miss trying new recipes.

My afternoon drink:  I am a water drinker.  Drinking 8 eight ounce glasses of water per day is just getting started for me.  It hasn't always been this way.  Drinking the required 64 ounces of water for optimal health was at one time a chore.  In order to give myself an incentive to drink water, I gave myself a treat drink once I'd downed the initial 64 ounces.  I had a diet cola, agave sweetened tea, or  lemonade, or some other calorie free or low calorie beverage with a lot of flavor.  I'm not sure why, but I haven't missed it.  I just keep on sipping my water.  I know I'll have tea with supper.  Maybe that is it.  I don't know.  I'm just enjoying it. (I have switched to sugar sweetened tea for the cost savings with no ill effects, so I might not switch back.)

Missing new recipes:  I like to cook.  I like to read cookbooks.  I'm often running across recipes that I think John and I will like.  I particularly run across dessert recipes that I think we'll like.  Often times, the new recipe will require an ingredient I don't keep on hand.  I knew that during this 30 days, we may not be able to afford and extra ingredients and I would have to forgo the experimentation in the kitchen.  I was wrong.  I am experimenting in the kitchen trying to keep costs down while making flavorful food has been much more fun than trying a new recipe.  And, we have done so well with our cost savings, that we will be able to afford an extra ingredient if I find something we want to try before the 30 days are over.

This has been a grand adventure, and part of that is having these little surprises arise.  There are several more that I will share in another post soon.  And I'm sure before I write that entry, I'll have added a few more to the list.

John's Turn:

I've been surprised that I've not really ever been hungry except for when I should be hungry--about the time that a meal time is approaching.  Cutting back on portions hasn't been a problem.  I noticed it a little bit at first, but I suppose my body and mind adjusted more quickly than I might have supposed.

I am also surprised at the one thing I seem to miss most--gummi bears!  I like to keep them around for a quick snack or just when I might be wanting something to chew on that tastes good.  As low-cost as they are and as well as we're doing on our budget, I suppose I could work some degree of gummi bear consumption back into my diet, but for now I'm trying to resist.

No comments:

Post a Comment